8 Ways Your Fireplace Could Be Actually Toxic

Photo by rawf8 / Shutterstock

Pay attention to what’s around the fireplace

First of all, before using your fireplace, you have to make sure that that there are no objects near it that can heat up and release harmful chemicals that can adversely affect your health or that can create a house fire. 

“It’s not always what is in your fireplace that poses the danger, but what is around the fireplace and the vents for the fireplace that needs some attention,” says Dr. Tong. “Do not leave plastics or chemicals or cleaners near the heat, as these could be flammable or toxic when heated. Also do not use tape around vent ducts, as this could cause build up of carbon monoxide.”

Also, this winter, try to pay attention to your Christmas tree if you opt for a fake one because they are flammable and can be a fire hazard in your house. Don’t keep it near your fireplace. However, dry evergreen could just as easily catch fire if exposed to heat.

PREV1 ... 34 5 67 ... 9NEXT

Related Articles

Decorations

Garden

House

Renovate

Style

Tips