8 Ways Your Fireplace Could Be Actually Toxic

Photo by Wilm Ihlenfeld / Shutterstock

Fireplace users are more likely to develop lung cancer

According to a 2010 study done by the Environmental Health Perspective, people who use their fireplaces regularly are more likely to develop lung cancer than those who don’t have one. The explanation is that if you are exposed to high levels of wood smoke, you will automatically inhale a large amount of harmful gases that directly affect your lungs, so it can lead to lung cancer in the long run. Being exposed to wood smoke is similar to smoking, so try to stay away from fireplace smoke as long as possible. 

“Repeat exposure can permanently damage the lungs and increase the risk of cancer similar to smoking,” said Dr. Tong.

PREV1 ... 67 8 9NEXT

Related Articles

Decorations

Garden

House

Renovate

Style

Tips